Location: Federation University (Mount Helen Campus, near Ballarat)
The unit is designed to give a basis for understanding the various elements that make up the mine environment, and how to control and regulate it to achieve a safe, healthy and comfortable workplace conducive to performance and efficiency.
- Determine the size of the occupational health and safety problem.
- Find the specialist definitions of key terms in occupational health and safety.
- Appreciate the history of occupational health and safety.
- Determine how the legal system deals with occupational health and safety problems.
- Examine risk management models.
- Understand consultative mechanisms.
- Compare and contrast occupational health and safety auditing tools.
- Understand the effects of specific hazards on the human body. Skills
- Build models for the management of occupational health and safety problems.
- Tackle health and safety problems at their source.
- Use the hierarchy of hazard controls to control hazards.
- Apply management system concepts to occupational health and safety case studies.
- Develop occupational health and safety policies.
- Determine assessment methods for specific hazards.
- Prepare a plan for hazard control. Values
- Appreciate that social problems have an historical and legal context.
- Prefer the "safe-place” over the "safe-person” approach to control hazards.
- Value workplace consultation. Content: Legislation
- General framework
- Health & safety legislation
- Mines regulations Occupational Health & Safety
- History and philosophy
- Types of accidents and injuries
- Hazard management
- Manual handling
- Human factors
- Entry into confined spaces
- Control strategies Mine Environmental Engineering
- Atmospheric contaminants and their control
- (Dusts, gases, radiation, heat and humidity, noise)
- Mine illumination Emergency Situations
- Outbursts and explosions
- Mine fires
- Mine rescue
Further course and assessment information can be found at: https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/subjects/geol90033
- Teacher: Michael Tuck